First attempt: Tuesday-snow day and the perfect chance to get our documents notarized before Brian leaves for work except that the snow turned to ice and everywhere is closed :(
Second attempt: Wednesday-Brian's day off. I leave after work (teacher workday) to meet Brian and go get the papers notarized. I get home only to realize that I have left the folder at work!
Third Attempt: Thursday-Brian's last day off until the next Wednesday. I bring the folder of papers home and we go to a bank in Stanly county where we already know and like the competent notary. She sits down to notarize and realizes that our official papers say Cabarrus county on them and she is a Stanly county notary! By this time it is 4:30 so we hightail it to a bank in Concord. There are very specific guidelines to notarizing international documents and this man clearly could not get it right. It is probably a good thing we ran into problems with there not being enough room for his notary stamp without overlapping any writing (a big no-no which will get your documents rejected!). Feeling very defeated and out of time, we went home. Brian fixed the margins on the documents to allow plenty of space for the stamp so we would be ready to go NEXT WEDNESDAY! I was so bummed since we are racing against this vote. (More on that later-if I remember LOL. For now, just know the vote could lengthen the adoption and has been postponed...again). Note: third time NOT a charm!
Fourth Attempt: Friday-We had a snowday. School was closed and Brian does not have to go in to work until 2:45. So this time we know that we need to go to Cabarrus county and we know not to go back to the bank with the kind notary who could not get it right-bless him for trying, though. We go to another bank and successfully get our documents notarized...finally! The lady was so sweet and genuinely interested in our story. Whoever said 3rd time's a charm was wrong. For us the 4th time was a charm and despite the fact that I have to work the next 2 Saturdays to make up for all the snow days, I am so blessed that God gifted us those days so that we could get things done. Now we are yet another step closer to bringing Quinton home :)