Faith to Move a Mountain

In November of 2011, I started this blog as a sort of journal to chronicle the events of our son Quinton's adoption. Quinton is a little boy who was born with an extra special something. Quinton has down syndrome and was given up at birth by his parents because he has down syndrome. His birth parents must not have had any idea what a blessing he would be or I am sure they would not have given him up. Unfortunately in Eastern Europe (Quinton is from Ukraine) people with disabilities are not accepted in society and at the age of 4-6, they are sent to adult mental institutions where most of them die :( Although it breaks my heart that his parents have missed out on such a joyful little boy, God has used this unfortunate situation to bless us with a gift greater than I could have ever imagined: the gift of our first child. If you ever considered adoption-do it! Don't let money deter you. God provided over $20,000 for us to adopt Quinton. We were not fully funded until 50 minutes before we boarded our plane to Ukraine. If you have never considered adoption, go back to the beginning of this blog and read. You will see what a blessing adoption really is. Many people tell us that we are angels for rescuing Quinton, but the honest truth is this: Quinton has given me far more that I will ever be able to give him. He is my little miracle, my silly bug, my baby boy, my love. HE IS MY LIFE!

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Day 7: Can't Believe It's Been a Week Already!

Seven days ago today, we walked into a little office where I sat anxiously as I waited for my son to come in. As I sat there, I wondered if he would love us like we love him. I had prepared my heart as much as I could that he might not be ready to receive all of the affection I had to offer. I sat back with tears in my eyes as he entered the room. As difficult as it was, I just sat there and took everything in. I wanted to jump up and wrap him in my arms right away, but I was afraid that I would scare him. So I sat for what seemed like an eternity, but after watching the movie play back, only amounted to a minute or so. When I finally got up to get him, it was a magical moment. You could hear my voice shaking and cracking and my body was shaking all over. I was nervous and excited all at once. Then the magic happened. He smiled at me for the first time. I swear, that was one of the single most wonderful moments of my entire life. He  flashed me a smile that God knew that I needed to see and he has not stopped since. Everyday I go to pick him up, he smiles at me with the smile of an angel.

Today when we went to pick him up, we were met with a prescription from the doctor. She had been there to see him and written him a prescription for four medications! We went to the pharmacy to get them for him even though we have no idea what they were. We just hope that they make him feel better. He is such a little trooper. Even when he is really sick, he still smiles and laughs for us.

So far, just about every experience we have had here has been positive. There are some things though that have broken my heart. Today was one of those days where I walked away in tears. They were not just quiet tears. They were run to the bathroom when you get home and sob, tears. My heart was absolutely torn in two. I honestly don't think I will ever be quite the same again. Because I chose to keep my blog public while we are in country, I am not at liberty to write about some things, this being one of them. I will, however blog about it when we get home and Quinton is safe and sound because I think that everyone needs to know about it.

Quinton was not feeling the best today, but we still managed to get a few good pictures :)







Ahhhh! I almost forgot the best part of the day. Quinton reached for me today! We have been trying to teach him that if he reaches for us, we will pick him up. He is not used to anyone fulfilling his needs when he cries or reaches, so he pretty much just doesn't do it. Today when he reached his arms out for me I squealed! He reached for Brian too. We passed him back and forth several times and clapped and cheered for his new "trick". Love him bunches!

3 comments:

  1. I love the pic where you can see his big, blue eyes! Handsome little guy...praying that he'll feel better soon!

    Rochelle
    Elk Grove, CA

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can see in his eyes how much he adores the two of you. So beautiful. I pray for you guys so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww he is soooooooooooooo cute I can't stand it!! So happy that everything is working out for you!

    ReplyDelete