Faith to Move a Mountain

In November of 2011, I started this blog as a sort of journal to chronicle the events of our son Quinton's adoption. Quinton is a little boy who was born with an extra special something. Quinton has down syndrome and was given up at birth by his parents because he has down syndrome. His birth parents must not have had any idea what a blessing he would be or I am sure they would not have given him up. Unfortunately in Eastern Europe (Quinton is from Ukraine) people with disabilities are not accepted in society and at the age of 4-6, they are sent to adult mental institutions where most of them die :( Although it breaks my heart that his parents have missed out on such a joyful little boy, God has used this unfortunate situation to bless us with a gift greater than I could have ever imagined: the gift of our first child. If you ever considered adoption-do it! Don't let money deter you. God provided over $20,000 for us to adopt Quinton. We were not fully funded until 50 minutes before we boarded our plane to Ukraine. If you have never considered adoption, go back to the beginning of this blog and read. You will see what a blessing adoption really is. Many people tell us that we are angels for rescuing Quinton, but the honest truth is this: Quinton has given me far more that I will ever be able to give him. He is my little miracle, my silly bug, my baby boy, my love. HE IS MY LIFE!

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

TGIFridays and SDA

Last night we had the opportunity to meet up with some other American families at TGIFridays. It was so nice because they had English menus and an English speaking waiter. I met several Reece's Rainbow families (I got to meet Mia, Gabe, and Levi! It was so exciting to see their sweet faces in person) as well as a lady who had just adopted her daughter from Quinton's orphanage. She was able to tell me all about the judges, social workers, facilitators, and nannies. She thinks that Quinton was in her daughter's group, but it was hard to tell since his picture is over a year old. If she was correct though, there are 17 kids in his group. She was also able to tell me about some of the judges. There is one very young blonde headed judge who is brand new. She heard their court case in only one week! That is really fast compared to other families who have encountered "my way or the highway" judges. So, please let's start praying now for a kind hearted judge. We would love to be home with Quinton as quickly as possible.

Today we went to the SDA to accept Quinton's referral for adoption. They showed us his baby picture which they said they would allow us to trade after the adoption is finalized! They told us a little bit about his family and medical history. I have to admit, I was teary-eyed almost the whole time. Just seeing another picture of him did me in the first time. Then when she told us about his family, it broke my heart. He was the second born child in a very well to do family with plenty of money. Since he was born with Down Syndrome, his parents signed abandonment papers immediately. I knew that his parents had given him up-otherwise he would not be at the orphanage, but for some reason, the word abandoned just pierced my heart. How could anyone abandon their child? It breaks my heart that his parents would essentially throw him away, but once I get past the sadness and anger, I know I will always have a place in my heart for the people who blessed me with my first child.

We did learn a bit about his medical history, but the way it was translated was unclear. We were told his first and last name which we cannot share until the adoption is finalized. He was 51 centimeters (21 inches) long and somewhere around 3 kilograms (6.6lbs). He has dermatitis (dry skin), a problem with one of his ears, something about his navel, and an open oval window (a hole in his heart). We have been told by several families that medical conditions are often overdiagnosed and not to be alarmed. We will take him to see a pediatrician and a cardiologist when we get back to the US and go from there. They asked us if we would like to see the files of any other children. I shook my head no and smiled. The lady did not need an interpreter for that. It was short and sweet. We will pick up his referral for adoption tomorrow between 4 and 5:00 and then head to his region to visit him on Friday. According to people who have been to his region recently, the internet connection is not good. We will do our best to update as we can. Thanks for all the prayers and keep them coming :)

7 comments:

  1. This made me cry, just thinking about you getting that window into his life. The prayers keep coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you made it safe and sound and your SDA appt went well. It is hard to hear that our kids were abandoned, I had tears last week when they said that about Dariya too! Good luck, praying all goes smoothly for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was great meeting you yesterday!! Enjoy your time here, it will be an adventure for sure! I. Look forward to following your journey to your precious baby boy:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so happy for you... hearing his background made me tear up too. I'm so happy that you guys are able to raise this very special little guy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You got to meet Levi and Gave and Mia! I've been following their stories too. I'm glad you have people to talk to. I think I would be overwhelmed in another country. I'm praying for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praying so cool that you got to meet other families. Update as soon as you can but I will understand with the internet being so-so. Looking forward to pictures of Quinton!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praying you get the nice new judge. Our little one we are adopting is in the same orphanage as your son. We are pray we get to travel soon.

    ReplyDelete