Faith to Move a Mountain

In November of 2011, I started this blog as a sort of journal to chronicle the events of our son Quinton's adoption. Quinton is a little boy who was born with an extra special something. Quinton has down syndrome and was given up at birth by his parents because he has down syndrome. His birth parents must not have had any idea what a blessing he would be or I am sure they would not have given him up. Unfortunately in Eastern Europe (Quinton is from Ukraine) people with disabilities are not accepted in society and at the age of 4-6, they are sent to adult mental institutions where most of them die :( Although it breaks my heart that his parents have missed out on such a joyful little boy, God has used this unfortunate situation to bless us with a gift greater than I could have ever imagined: the gift of our first child. If you ever considered adoption-do it! Don't let money deter you. God provided over $20,000 for us to adopt Quinton. We were not fully funded until 50 minutes before we boarded our plane to Ukraine. If you have never considered adoption, go back to the beginning of this blog and read. You will see what a blessing adoption really is. Many people tell us that we are angels for rescuing Quinton, but the honest truth is this: Quinton has given me far more that I will ever be able to give him. He is my little miracle, my silly bug, my baby boy, my love. HE IS MY LIFE!

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Sick Baby :(

Ok- I definitely had my first broken mommy heart today. We went to pick Quinton up for our morning visit and he was not where he usually is. I began looking around immediately. The nannies shook their heads and told us that we could not take him.Then I saw them take him out of a different playpen than the one he is usually in and that is when I realized that he was separated because he was sick. They let me hold him for a minute and he was burning up. It did NOT help that the room felt like a sauna. I think they believe that if the room is too cold (aka comfortable) the kids will get sick. The culture here is just so unbelievably different. I have to remind myself often that we are not in America and people just don't believe the same things here. Sorry for the rant. Alright, so the doctor was called in and she tried to tell me something in Russian which I of course did not understand. So, we tried to call our facilitator, Marina. Well, apparently there is more than one Marina in our contact list annnnd we chose the wrong one. We still don't know who she was, but by the grace of God, she spoke english and was able to calm my nerves down and translate what the dr. had said. They suspected that his fever was due to teething and sent us to the Anteka (pharmacy) with a list of 4 prescriptions. We really have to believe that the dr's here  know what they are doing because we do not have any idea what we are buying for them to give him. We just hand over the list and return to the orphanage with it. So we dropped off the medication off and we had to leave him there :( He was so sad and I just wanted to love on him and let him know that everything is going to be alright. That is honestly one of the hardest things about leaving him everyday. He loves visiting us, but to him we are still not his primary care givers. We do not feed him or take care of all of his needs, we just hug and cuddle and play. Today I would have given anything to have been able to sit in a rocking chair with him and just love on him. (Jenn Lamphear-if you are reading this I just want you to know that I have always prayed for you and Riley, but my prayers for you guys just increased by like 10 times. I don't know how you do it! Jenn's daughter suffers from a chronic pain disorder. Jenn is an amazing woman with incredible faith and her little Riley bug is so brave. She faces everyday, pain or not, brave and with a smile. Love you guys.)

The good news is that we returned at 4:30 and his temperature was back to normal! The doctor checked him out and we were allowed to take him out and visit for an hour or so. We got to skype with Brian's dad and tried to skype with my mom and my bff Rebecca, but once again the internet was being poopy :( Quinton seemed to be feeling much better and was content just sitting in our laps for most of the time. We definitely ended the day on a much better note than how we started it and we even got to skype with Brian's mom and grandparents and my parents, grandpaw, brother, Jamie, and my dog Annie (all at the same time). It was a great end to what started out as a not so great day. There are not many pictures from today, but here are a few. We bought Quinton 2 outfits from the baby store to get us through the week he will be with us before we make it home. I am so excited for his first pair of little jeans (seen in the pictures below).

Countdown to Gotcha Day: 9 days! We are in single digits!!!!! YAY!!!!


  1. oh i cannot imagine how you felt seeing him poorly and not being able to take control and cuddle him! 9 days and counting till you can swoop in and love that gorgeous boy! xxx

  2. Off topic- you look cute in a hat.

    I love the ones where he's just in his diaper. Precious Precious boy!

  3. Poor Quinton! Babies get fevers day it might be 103, then the next day they're fine. :) My first dtr had chronic ear infections her 1st 15 mos. They finally put ear tubes in which solved that problem! Will continue to pray for a nurse, keep an eye on him. Can't believe they'd give 4 Rxs for teething? For any fever, at that. Antibiotics are only for bacterial infections, and Tylenol is for fever, so...just sayin'. :D

    Elk Grove, CA